January 2018: Hospice Care for the Terminally Ill Who Wish to Remain at Home
The Center for Hope Hospice & Palliative Care is known for our two unique residential facilities, Peggy’s House in Scotch Plains and Father Hudson House in Elizabeth, N.J. But many area residents in Central New Jersey don’t realize that they or their loved ones can receive carefully coordinated hospice care in their own homes through the Center. In fact, in addition to private homes, our services can be provided wherever a patient resides, such as nursing homes or other assisted living residences throughout central New Jersey.
Patients may receive a range of hospice care services, depending on an interdisciplinary care plan designed by our medical directors, nurses, social workers and chaplains. And, because the care provided in the community is managed through the Center, the experience is much like that offered at Peggy’s House and Father Hudson House. That means that patients have access to a range of services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Center’s response system is unique among healthcare providers; unlike traditional on-call systems, Center nurses frequently make visits throughout the night. Instead of a nurse trying to handle situations over the phone outside of traditional business hours, our nurses provide the exact same level of service whether it’s 3 o’clock in the afternoon or 3 o’clock in the morning – a vital asset when someone is in pain or when sudden concerns about a patient’s condition arise.
• The Center’s Patient Response System ensures access to an on-duty, awake registered nurse who is ready to visit the home seven days a week, 24 hours a day, no matter what the issue is. This unlimited access, which is uncommon in community hospice care, provides medical attention and palliative care as efficiently as possible.
• All medications, supplies and durable medical equipment directly related to the hospice diagnosis are included.
• In-home nursing care and/or home health aide visits are part of the care plan, depending on each patient’s needs.
• Chaplains and social workers are available for spiritual and emotional support.
• Trained hospice volunteers make home visits to provide companionship and caregiver support.
• Patients have seamless access to the Center’s residences for respite care stays, pain and/or medication management, and caregiver relief. Longer stays, or permanent stays, can also be arranged as your needs change.
Our community care is available throughout Union County and parts of Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Morris and Somerset counties. For more information or to arrange hospice care in the home, call the Center at (908) 889-7780 (anytime – day or night!).
The Center for Hope Hospice & Palliative Care
Peggy's House & the Center's Administrative Offices: 1900 Raritan Road, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
Center for Hope - Elizabeth: 111 DeHart Place, Elizabeth, NJ 07202
The Hope Chest: 26 Prospect Street, Westfield, NJ 07090
Copyright © Center for Hope. All rights reserved.